YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program
Research has shown that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in individuals over age 60.
Lowering the risk with healthier choices
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program helps people at high risk for Type 2 diabetes reduce their risk by beginning and maintaining healthy lifestyles. You will learn from a trained lifestyle coach how to make small changes that can help reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
How It Works
Participants will learn how positive behavior changes such as healthier eating, increasing physical activity, and modest weight loss help reduce risk for type 2 diabetes. This 12 month group-based program consisting of 25 one-hour sessions in a classroom setting.
- Sessions 1-16 meet once per week (4 months)
- Sessions 17-19 meet every other week (2 months)
- Sessions 20-25 meet once per month (remaining 6 months)
- Adults (18+)
- Overweight (BMI > 25; 23 for Asian individuals)
- With prediabetes
- Confirmed via one of 2 blood tests or previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
- HbA1c = 5.7% - 6.4%
- Fasting Glucose = 100-125mg/dL
- If no blood test, qualifying score on ADA or CDC risk assessment
- Open to members and nonmembers of the YMCA
NOTE: Participant MUST NOT already have diabetes or blood values in the diabetes range.
- Lose at least 7 percent of your body weight
- Build up to 150 minutes of physical activity every week
Yes, there is a fee. To learn more about fees, payment plans and financial assistance, please fill out our Diabetes Prevention Program Interest Form.